Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ekaterina, Part One: The Grandmother of Shudders

You cannot believe how cold it can become in the Ukraine. It is not simply the temperature, it is the wind and the way it blows, fast and sharp. A cold snap is usually accompanied by high winds, winds that will whip your body ragged.

My name is Ekaterina. When I was a girl, my mother told me about the Hali or Ale, the spirits of bad weather, the demons of dark clouds, who would gobble up children if they were bad. Needless to say, I had many nightmares of the Hali.

When I grew up, my belief in the Hali dissipated and my mind grew occupied with other things. I grew up in a harsh world and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, it became even harsher. Though the place where I grew up was free, it was still poor, filled with those who had been stepped on my history.

It was there, before I moved to the US, that I met one of the Hali. In my studies, I have seen mention of many names for her, the Woman, but the one I knew best was Baba Yaga.


I should first explain what the name Baba Yaga means or at least what it means to me. Baba is short for babusia, meaning grandmother. And yaga means a feeling of revulsion and horror, shuddering.

Baba Yaga then
 is the Grandmother of Shudders.

No comments:

Post a Comment