Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ezra, Part Five: Words That Hurt

Do you remember that old rhyme? 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.'

That was a lie. Of course words will hurt you. Words can cut as deep as any knife.

I asked a question and the King answered. He did not speak, it was not speech. It was something else. It was like the words became etched onto my brain. It was like I was a stone and the words were carved into me.

I cannot tell you what my question was. It was mine and mine alone. Some day, you might be able to ask the King a question for yourself.

I would recommend against it.

The King told me the truth, complete and uncut. I know the answer to my question and I wish I didn't. I wish I stayed ignorant.

I can't do that now. I can't stay ignorant. I know the truth.

I'm afraid I broke down in tears after I knew. I cried in front of the King and his Dream. I wanted to die and yet I didn't.

"Do you know the truth of it now?" the man asked.

"Yes," I said. "I do."

"No more whys and wherefores?"

"No," I said.

"Good. Do you still wish to go on?"

"Do I have a choice?" I asked.

"You always have a choice," he said. "You could have said no. You could have chosen to ignore the truth. You could have not asked any question at all or an insignificant question. But you chose a big one, one of the big truths. And now you have another choice. You can go on with this knowledge or you can choose to stay."

"Stay where?" I asked.

"With him," he said. "Become a part of his dream, a part of his sleep. You will be stone, of course, but you won't have to worry about the world. Well, not until it ends, at least."

"Are those the only options I have?"

"Yes," he said. "Stay or go. Choose."

I closed my eyes. I was tired and my head hurt, but I knew. I knew I couldn't go on. Not like this. Not knowing what I knew.

"I would be stone?" I asked.

"Completely," he said.

"Let me write my story," I said. "To warn others. Let me write it down and then I will stay. Then I will become a stone."

The man smiled and said, "Of course."

So here I am. In a moment, I shall become a part of the King's dream. My body shall turn from flesh to stone and I shall sleep until the end of days. 

It cannot come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment